Two Glenroy College students have been chosen to receive a life-changing scholarship from the ABCN Foundation after impressing selectors with their determination, grit and hard work.

Dilhan Koch and Kayla Harrison, both in Year 10, were among 41 students chosen for the scholarship from a pool of 250 hopefuls right around Australia.

They will each receive $7000 over the next three years after winning the judges over with personal essays that shared where they have come from and what they hope for their respective futures. The money will be used to support their studies through VCE and the first year of tertiary study or post-school training,

The ABSN Accelerate scholarship also pairs each student with mentors from the corporate world to help hone their potential, drive their success and achieve their goals through the final years of schooling and beyond.

Future leaders

Assistant Principal Deanne Clark said the award recognised Dilhan and Kayla’s academic potential as well as their potential as future leaders. She said the College was immensely proud of their achievements.

“It’s an incredible opportunity and they both deserve it. It’s a reflection of their work ethic and their commitment to learning,” Ms Clark said. “Congratulations to them both.”

Dilhan, 16, said he plans to use the scholarship win as a springboard to learning success. He is interested in pursuing a career in science. “I was very happy when they told me and so is my family, especially my mum,” he said. “I really wanted this scholarship so I put in the work. I want to do well.”

‘I want to be a good role model’

For Kayla, also 16, the scholarship will make a huge difference. “I was really excited and proud of myself for being accepted,” she said. “I was hoping that I would get it, but I was still quite shocked when I found out. I have three younger sisters and I want to be a good role model to them.”

Kayla said she hopes to be the first person in her family to attend university, with plans to study law after Year 12.

“I want to study law and psychology at university. I think it’s interesting learning about how the mind works and about how people’s behaviour works,” she said.

Recognising exceptional students

The ABCN Accelerate Scholarship program targets exceptional students who are facing economic, family or social challenges that impact on their study or capacity to achieve their desired tertiary pathways.

ABCN Foundation Chair Mike Hawker AM said the program creates links between corporate Australia and schools to help exceptional students reach their potential.

“This year’s applications were one of our most diverse, with students whose families originated from countries all over the world wanting their chance to achieve their potential,” he said.

“The program exists because we want to break the cycle of intergenerational disadvantage within Australia. It is talent-based, and we are finding exemplary examples of community engagement, leadership potential and academic capability from some extraordinary young people.”

Congratulations to our two very deserving recipents. Glenroy College is so proud of your achievements.